© 2005-2018 by Zack Smith. All rights reserved.
A front group is a group that attempts to appear benevolent and fair when in fact it is funded by wealthy interests who want to further some nefarious agenda. They are fraudulent and intended to deceive. Front groups are created in order to conceal conflicts of interest, to shield against indefensible lines of argument, or to make disturbing ideologies appear mainstream.
Videos on astroturfing
- Astroturf and manipulation of media messages (TED talk) by Sharyl Attkisson
Corporate Front Groups
- United States Energy Association: a trade organization representing Chevron, Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips
- Groundwater Protection Council: a nonprofit that receives fracking industry funding and opposes federal regulation of fracking wastewater disposal.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (aaas.org) operates on behalf of corporate interests including Monsanto. Linked to the
No on 37campaign to prevent labeling of GMO foods.
- American Council on Science and Health, a corporate front group that among other things denies that foods can be addictive.
- Partnership for a New American Economy is a Disney/Bloomberg/Murdoch organization aimed at dumping American workers in favor of cheap H1B workers.
- National Sleep Foundation, also known as Patient Sleep Supplies; it is Big Pharma funded to make you think you need Lunesta etc.
- Stop Too Big To Fail: created to stop financial reform.
- Consumers for Competitive Choice.
- Consumers for Cable Choice.
- Alliance for Responsible CFC Policy.
- Alliance to Keep Americans Working.
- American Action Forum is Neoconservatives e.g. Jeb Bush.
- Americans for Prosperity is a Koch brothers front group.
- Associated Oregon Industries.
- Center for Global Food Safety is a shill group funded in part by Monsanto and headed up by Dennis T. Avery.
- Citizens for a Sound Economy
- Citizens for Sensible Control of Acid Rain.
- Club for Growth.
- Coalition for Vehicle Choice.
- Compete America: a group created to import more cheaper foreign skilled workers to make Americans unemployed.
- Council for Energy Awareness.
- Council for Solid Waste Solutions.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR): a phony
civil rightsgroup founded with Saudi Wahhabi money. Wahhabis promote a medieval mindset and are violent and inventive enemies of everyone's civil rights.
- European Scientists Fighting Influenza is a lobbying group based in Brussels.
- Family Security Matters is a front group for the Center for Security Policy thinktank.
- FreedomWorks: formed out of the merger of Citizens for a Sound Economy and Empower America.
- Global Climate Coalition is an oil industry front group that
gives financial and moral support to a small handful of scientists who vocally dispute the reality of global warming and the necessity of taking action to combat it.
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (nami.org) is a front group intended to appear to be a grass root movement while actually it is run by big pharmaceutical companies.
- National Center for Policy Analysis is 100% Republican and not a scientist among them: but beloved by the US media.
- National Taxpayers Union/Foundation (ntu.org) is another Neoconservative front group.
- National Wetlands Council.
- Oregon Lands Coalition.
- Citizens for Fire Safety is run by the three largest manufacturers of toxic chemical flame retardants.
- Renewable Fuels Association is a trade assocation for the ethanol fuel industry.
- Safe Buildings Alliance.
- Society of the Plastic Industry.
- TeenScreen (teenscreen.org) is a front group to promote psycho-pharmaceuticals.
- United Seniors Association (unitedseniors.org) is a sham organization run by Republicans and Big Pharma companies.
- USA Engage.
- U.S. Coalition for Nutritional Ingredients was created by International Dairy Foods Association (idfa.org).
- Workplace Health and Safety Council.
Bank front organizations
- Council on Foreign Relations: started by banksters in 1921 such as J.P. Morgan,, Warburg etc. with the goal of ending national sovereignty and promoting globalism and a One World Government.
- US Federal Reserve was started by banksters in secret meeting on Jekyll Island, Georgia.
CIA front organizations
- PTech (Performance Tech) is a supplier of software to Corporate America and the US government; alleged connections to Islamic terrorist suspects according to Indira Singh.
- Business International is active in breaking unions in Australia. Barack Obama worked for them after he graduated from Columbia.
- DynCorp is alleged by John Perkins to be a front group for the CIA.
- Executive Solutions is alleged by John Perkins to be a front group for the CIA.
- Global Alternatives is alleged by John Perkins to be a front group for the CIA.
- World Vision is allegedly a CIA front and fake Christian organization.
Governmental agencies taken over by big business
It would have once seem hard to believe, but governmental agencies largely have been taken over by corporate interests. In the USA and elsewhere, regulatory agencies are increasingly captured. They have in effect become front groups.
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is a US governmental regulatory agency that has been captured by big banks.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is a US governmental regulatory agency that has been captured by big business.
- European Medical Agency is a government body 2/3 funded by the pharmaceutal industry.
Think tanks: professional propagandists and front groups for corporate interests
Think tanks exist to make bad rationales appear palatable, and to make outrageous ideas appears respectable. They attempt to back up their lies with academic credibility, but often they are headed up by lobbyists.
- Competitive Enterprise Institute: paid $200k-$400k per year by ExxonMobil to perform acts of misinformation.
- Cato Insitute is the Koch brothers propaganda mill.
- Center for Security Policy is allegedly anti-democracy.
- The Fellowship Foundation AKA The Family = far-rightwing fundamentalist organization. Known for its National Prayer Breakfast.
- American Enterprise Institute: the
headquartersof the Neoconservatives.
- Dick Cheney & wife have been involved with AEI.
- Richard Perle is a hawk from AEI.
- Many AEI board members come from Hoover Institute.
- PNAC (Project for a New American Century): another major Neo-Con thinktank.
- Heritage Foundation: rightwing and often featured on NPR (National Public Radio).
- Elaine Chao (former labor secretary) is from Heritage.
- Manhattan Institute: rightwing.
- Hoover Institution: rightwing and located at Stanford University in California.
- Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice are from Hoover.
- Brookings: sometimes-rightwing and often featured on NPR.
Rich supporters of rightwing thinktanks
- Richard Mellon Scaife
- The Koch brothers
Rich supporters of planned but thwarted 1931 fascist coup in America
It was called the Business Plot, and was exposed by General Smedly Butler, who hailed from West Chester Pennsylvania.
- J.P. Morgan
- DuPont family
- Remington family