© 2007-2018 by Zack Smith. All rights reserved.
My sit-up bench
Sit-ups are ideally done on an incline bench, also called an abdominal bench, so that the abs work harder than when you lay flat. Rather than spend a bunch of money on a heavy metal bench, I simply made my own.
Seeking to make a stable bench, I opted for using 2x8 planks, which are actually
- 25 inch wide by 1.5 inch thick. I bought an 8-footer and got it cut into two 4' pieces at the store for free.
- Two 2x8 by 4 feet pieces.
- Two 2x4 segments, each 14.5 inches wide.
- Two 2x4 segments used to raise one end.
I used two 7.5 inch segments but it's a matter of preference.
- Eighteen 3 inch drywall screws.
Total cost could be around $20.
- Lay the 2x8's flat and screw on the stabilizing center piece, then the piece at the end.
- Attach the two legs, being sure to add extra screws for strength.