© 2011-2019 by Zack Smith. All rights reserved.
Syllogistic Fallacy: Undistributed Middle
This is a fallacy involving three sets: A, B and C. It is the assumption that because all A are members of C, and all B are members of C, that all A are B.
- A. All cherry tomatoes are red things.
- B. All cherries are red things.
- C. Therefore all cherry tomatoes are cherries.
- A. Fred is an atheist who lives in California.
- B. Ted is also an atheist living in California.
- C. Therefore Fed and Ted are actually the same person.
There is usually no reason to believe that two members of a group are identical or related, nor two subgroups of a group.